LAV’s database series continues with an overview of one of the Carnegie Library’s most versatile digital tools.
Libraries have a long tradition of supporting schools, students and adult learners. As today’s knowledge-seekers become more digitally savvy, library workers have bent over backwards to keep up with them. At the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, this includes adding digital materials and services to complement our print collection.
One of the most amazing services we offer is free cardholder access to Tutor.com’s Live Homework Help, which you can access via our Kids, Teens, and Adult Services webpages. The name Live Homework Help doesn’t really do justice, though, to the staggering amount of information and assistance you can get from it. In fact, it would be more accurate to call this resource the Super-Awesome All-Ages Education Value Pack (sorry Julie), but I suspect the folks at Tutor.com might balk at that: as a title, it’s much more enthusiastic than it is concise.
Be that as it may, there are plenty of good reasons for you to check out Live Homework Help, no matter what your needs are. To get started, log in to Tutor.com with your Carnegie Library card (scroll down just a little bit after the click). Once you’re logged in, you can choose the right learning center for you.
Live Homework Help’s student center is designed to help students in 4th through 12th grade with their questions about English, writing, science, math and social studies. Services include:
- Live chat tutoring sessions with subject specialists every weekday between 3 and 10 p.m.
- Live revision of a research or writing assignment with a qualified writing tutor every weekday between 3 and 10 p.m.
- 24/7 access to worksheets, tutorials and study guides in the Skills Center.
- 24/7 access to practice tests and other study guides to the PSAT, SAT, ACT, and other college entrance exams.
The college center is designed for first-year college, community college and university students of all ages. When you enter this section of Live Homework Help, you can choose from:
- Live tutoring sessions and paper review sessions every weekday between 3 and 10 p.m.
- Interactive GED preparation sessions every weekday between 3 and 10 p.m.
- Interactive resume reviews, job searching assistance, and career assistance every weekday between 3 and 10 p.m.
- 24/7 access to worksheets, tutorials and other study guides to the GRE, LSAT, MCAT, TOEFL and other graduate/professional exams.
- 24/7 access to worksheets and information about military, civil service, and other technical careers.
Adult Education and Career Center
Going back to school? Changing careers? Have other concerns? When you select Live Homework Help’s adult center, you get access to:
- Real-time back-to-school preparation sessions with a qualified tutor every weekday between 3 and 10 p.m.
- Live chat assistance with questions about citizenship or career exploration every weekday between 3 and 10 p.m.
- The chance to have your resume, cover letter, or writing samples reviewed live every weekday between 3 and 10 p.m.
- 24/7 access to worksheets and tutorials about helping your kids with their homework, improving your financial literacy, reviewing subject material you might need practice with, earning college credit for life experience, and more.
Thousands of Pittsburgh residents benefited from Tutor.com in 2009. Why not try it in 2010? After all, in a competitive economy, you’ll want every possible success tool you can get in your arsenal.
The Carnegie Library, for its part, will continue to provide access to this resource for as long as we’re able, because libraries aren’t just about information and recreation: they’re all about education, too.